It’s very common for a human to get a scratch abruptly, when doing any kind of work, even walking or running. Human skin is sensitive and delicate. And with a mere harshness and inappropriate treatment, it can scratch and get bruises. Moreover, while working on a regular basis, such as in offices or outside activities, scratch are the normal routine matter. What’s important about it, is to treat these scratch, according to their depth and severity. Otherwise, it can lead you to more troublesome.
Precise words about the scratch:
Take a look at the precise and exact words about the term scratch. A red line or a cut that you receive on your skin by a sharp edge of any object or by your nail, which resulted a drop of blood from that cut sometimes, is called scratch. Simply, when your skin tears from anywhere from the body called scratch. It can be very thin and mostly less painful.
But if it is deep and receive from a metal such as iron or bronze, it should be treated with full attention and care. Otherwise, it can be converted into wound and then a scar. It will also cause infection and allergy too. The worst part about the scratch is that when it develop the scab, it tightens the skin even more and you can’t even move that body part freely until the scab gets removed.
Popular reasons that usually cause scratch:
The things that cause a scratch on the skin are very common and happen in daily life. Means that we all deals those situations on a regular basis. Not all the time you receive a scratch on your skin due to daily tasks or using hard object. In today’s the, old people or even younger ones complaint about the scratches on the skin due to no reasons, however, because of using medications for a long time or with some sort of skin infection, or due to very dry skin, old and young, both classes are having scratches on the skin these days. https://www.theshreds.org/what-is-eczema/
Mostly people have pets in their homes and obviously pets like cats and dogs have paws and nails that scratch the skin when we hold them in our arms. That’s why very first reason is these pets that cause scratches. Other than this, using kitchen utensils and sharp objects like knives and forks or cutters will also cause scratches and cuts that can also bleed significantly. Allergic skin, on which you scratch due to itching, also cause cuts and lines, from where blood leaks. Hard and sharp surfaces will also bring scratches on the skin. Such surfaces include sandpaper, marble slab edges and unpolished wood. These are the most common things and objects that cause scratches.
What does it look like when you rub a scratch on your skin by your nail or with some object?
Normally people don’t like scratches on the skin and therefore, people, especially women scrape the scab that appears on the scratch after a few days. With a thought that it doesn’t look good on the skin or may be new skin has arrived below the scab. (Whereas, the scab removes automatically when the new skin arrives on the wound. You don’t have to remove it on your own.) Such attempts made the wound even more deep and painful. It cause bump and swelling on it, made it extremely red, and sometimes also cause bleeding. It looks like as if some honey bee has bitten you.
What is the main difference between a scratch and a cut?
Now, this is the most interesting and intriguing question that what is the difference between a cut and a scratch? But the answer is simple. A human skin is normally 3 mm thick. A cut can tear this much thick skin. A hard object can go through your skin. But when it comes to describing a scratch, it will not go through your skin no matter how long the scratch is. https://www.healthline.com/health/cuts-scratches#outlook
It will remain on the skin and the skin will be integrated, whereas when some object cuts your skin, it will demarcate the skin and when you move that part of the body, it will create gape. In cuts, the chances of getting the skin infections are vibrant. However, mere scratch is not a big threat. Hence, this discrimination is important to acknowledge that a cut and a scratch are not the same. There is a visible difference between these two types of skin conditions.
A Scratch on the your eye and best possible solutions for it:
Apart from the scratch on the skin, living beings receive scratches in their eyes also. And a scratch in the eye is far more painful than the scratch on the skin.
The minor scratch in the eye usually heals in a couple of days or maximum in three days. Rather a deep scratch will not heal on its own and will require medication attention, such as ointment, healing creams and steroids. Other than that precaution and prevention helps a lot to protect the eye. Rubbing the eyes frivolously cause scratch and itching. Dust and dirt also develop a scratch on the surface of the eyes. To prevent such fuss, do these things, for instance;
- Rinse your eyes with clean water if this is about dust and dirt that cause itching and the scratch.
- Blink your eyes more often, it will reduce itching.
- Cover your eyes with sunglasses whenever go out.
- Contact lenses are not good for your eyes. Avoid wearing them.
- Don’t rub your eyes with any sort of hard object. Like a pen, pencil or anything similar to that.
- Don’t watch the TV screen and such gadgets for long hours. This will cause itching and a scratch respectively.
- Avoid using cheap make up products such as mascara and kohl.
- Wash your eyes with eyes protecting water, if the nature of you work us being outside most of the time.
- Take enough sleep for eyes health. https://www.theshreds.org/eye-functions-and-problems/
- Don’t cry too much. It will cause itching and then a scratch, eventually.
What does the global reading say about scratch and cuts on the skin?
It is very interesting and informative reading about people’s skin and its problems. Apart from the aspiratory system issues, the skin problems are one of the biggest problems of the mankind so far. It is said the 15 people in every hundred are dealing with the skin issues in the world. This shows that a large number of people in the world are having skin problems.
Those who live in such climates where a weather doesn’t change after 4 months, approximately, have very sensitive and delicate skin texture, that can be easily hurt and receive a scratch with mere rubbing or scraping. Children are in this respect, victimised by the havoc of skin problems more often than the elders. Because, their skin is extremely delicate and free from chemicals that’s why pollution and dust cause them itching and then scratches.
How many types of scratch are in the world that living beings deals with?
Of course, there are types and shapes of a scratch for which human beings and even animals take precautions and treatments. These types helps the doctor to suggest the specific treatment for it or no treatment for it. Because sometimes a scratch on a healthy skin doesn’t need any treatment or even first aid. And heal it on its own. The types of scratch that require treatment and prevention and that demand for attention are;
- Tears, gashes, cuts and lines. That appears due to contraction with the hard objects and remain on the fat tissues of the skin until they heals.
- Scratches, scrapes, abrasions, and burns. Such scratches remain on the upper skin only and don’t go under the skin. These types of scratches are more like a hard rubbing.
- Bruises. Due to leakage of your blood in the skin by a torn vein or because of some injury, bruises appear on the skin and can remove only with medical advice. Bruises also cause a scratch sometimes.
Other than these types, a person can have more types according to his/her skin type and environmental factors.
Procedures to heal a scratch successfully even at home:
The majority of the world is now educated today, to this extent that they can take care of themselves even at home. Minor problems such as fever, cough, cuts and bruises. The procedure is simple and easy to follow. Such as;
- Clean that body part which has the scratch. Clean the scratch also.
- Apply ointment on the scratch with or without the infection, twice daily to prevent germs and the bacteria. https://www.theshreds.org/acne-scars-treatment-and-precautions/
- Cover the scratch only if needed, if the exposure to the air damage the healing otherwise the scratch will heal rapidly in open air.
- Do not touch the scab. When we peel off the scab while it is protecting the new skin that comes underneath the scab, it will open the wound again and the chances of getting the skin infection will be more vibrant.
- Keep an eye on your scratch when it is healing. If the scratch contains mucus or watery substance and become red and swollen, contact with your doctor immediately. It is then infected with a virus or infection and will be healed after the infection will be cured.
What to use on an infected or torn skin to heal it quickly?
There are some other methods too that will help you heal your scratch or wound without applying any antibiotic ointment on it. These methods are easy to adopt and quite beneficial for the skin in other respects too. And even can help you maintain the overall skin tone and health. For different skin problems, here are the different ways, such as;
- Apply liquid bandage on cuts and minor scrapes. It has a plastic covering on it and prevent the germs from spreading on the wound. Wash or clean the scratch thoroughly and apply liquid bandage on it. Remember that a normal scratch will be healed when you let them be in an open air. But if it is deep and painful then apply this kind of bandage.
- For bruises apply an ice bag on the affected area at least for 15 to 20 minutes. After 48 hours use a warm wet cloth on the bruise to absorb the blood. Icing has always proven to be the best possible solution for skin care. Icing will not only help to fade away the bruises, it also brighter your skin tone and remove pimples and acne. https://www.theshreds.org/how-can-you-save-your-skin-from-acne/
- The injections of tetanus are given to the patient only when the cut or injury is deep and the patient hit the road and receive the wound or cut. In such cases, where the wound is open and the patient have a huge chance to develop infection, then tetanus shots will be given to the patient even if it is a child of an adult. However, check when did your child take the last vaccine.
Very important Health tips when you have a scratch on your skin:
One thing that is quite essential to acknowledge that;
- DO NOT use lemon even near to the scratch. Lemon will open the cut and exaggerate the itching to indescribable end.
- Use a plain soap on itching skin or on scratches.
- Try not to apply a face wash or a body wash on the affected area of the body.
- Always cover your knees, elbows and calf when opts to play cricket, hockey, and wally ball or volleyball.
- If you have sensitive skin, moisturize it to a certain extent. Because people with dry skin receive more scratches than the people who have oily skin.
- Examine your hygiene level if it is up to the mark or not. Because dust and dirt cause scratches and scrapes.
- Weather changes cause scratches and scrapes. Remember when the time changes and climate change from one to another, human skin bear its effects. https://www.theshreds.org/best-home-remedies-for-allergy/
- People who have dry skin, do not use tomato on the skin, it will dry your skin even more and cause the scratch often.
- Don’t scrape or rub your skin with your nail or with a hard or sharp object.
- Use body lotions according to your skin texture and current weather.
The bottom line:
In a nutshell, we will be agreed with the fact that scratches are very common on human skin and we face such conditions on a regular basis. If scratch and cut won’t treat with care, it will take even worse shape and a mere scratch will convert into a lethal wound. Hygiene is very important when it comes to safe yourself from scratch and scrapes.
Clean your body daily. This includes the washing of your hands, feet, arms and face. You should take a shower after one day. If you have dry skin, try to moisture your skin most of the time. And if you got scratches from an accident or by some object, clean the area, stop the bleeding if any and apply ice on it. After that, use an ointment on that scrape and scratch and wait for a couple of days to develop a scab on it. This scab will remove after a week when new skin arrives beneath the scab.